York Street area residents' parking zone
Cambridgeshire County Council has published proposals and consultation to introduce a residents’ parking scheme in the streets around York Street and New Street.
This is a long-overdue scheme.
There are a couple of issues:
- Builders vans and so on, never mind deliveries, are difficult, resulting in blocked pavements, etc.
- Making the case for the scheme in the face of opposition in a few streets because of a reduction in spaces where there is currently parking on both sides of the street (which means domination of the space for private motor vehicle storage).
- At last, elimination of pavement parking and the ability to enforce any pavement overrun.
- Building support for the scheme - residents' parking proposals have a key strategic role in reducing unnecessary traffic, by almost eliminating circulation by drivers speculatively looking for parking.
- No cycle parking is proposed.